Tuesday, November 4, 2008

We Are Sick :(

Sorry that there haven't been any updates for a while. We have been quite busy and now we are sick. Max and I have been doing lots of fun things: we went to Disneyland with Uncle Brett, two visits to the pumpkin patch (once with the mommy gang and once with Mimi and Brett), various park and play dates. Oh and I almost forgot...Max's 1st Birthday Party.

So about this birthday party thing, so much more work than I anticipated. For those of you who don't know me well, procrastination is my middle name. One might think that motherhood would change this but it hasn't. So Thursday night I made a mad dash to Target to get some last minute items. (The one thing I did not procrastinate were the goodie bags; I had those ready to go on Sunday night.) I planned out the games and got them ready. I managed to get to bed by 11:30 pm.

The next morning Oct. 31st was madness. I ran to the grocery store to get some party trays. Then I had to get to the venue (the community center at my friends house) to get everything ready. Thank goodness for Erin and Paula who came and helped me set up. The major stressor was the parking situation. Because this is the community center for the "Family Housing of UCR" you need parking permits. Kind of inconvenient but not really a big deal I just needed to get everyone's license plate number. Well the night before I found out I only get 2 parking permits, due to new policy. Fabulous, just my kind of luck. So long story short. I found a parking lot on UCR that gave out 90 min parking permits, I then had people follow me over to the lot I paid for their parking ticket and then shuttled them back to the party. Luckily all the party goers were good sports and all went well.

So we had games: pumpkin bowling, pin the nose on the pumpkin, and find the pumpkins. I made a cake from cupcakes in the shape of a pumpkin, it didn't turn out like the picture (don't ask me why but for some reason I thought it would). Max got some nice presents. It really was a blur and you would think Max would nap well after a crazy party, but he didn't. Oh well.

Halloween night we went trick-or-treating with Cesar Lindy and their kids. I was really fun. Max liked to go up to the doors and grab candy which he would immediately shove in his mouth wrapper and all. We went to Torrance on Sat morning to hang with the fam and came back home on Sun. We were all sick yesterday. I thought Max had given us the bug, but now I think we gave it to him. Jared and I were pretty sick yesterday and Max seemed to be fine except for a runny nose. Then today he has a temp of 101, I took him to the doc who said to bring him back tomorrow if it gets worse.

To get Max to bed I laid beside him on the floor, resting his little feverish head in the crook of my arm and sang him to sleep. The song I sang him was on my great-grandma Ruth's mom sang to her it's kind of morbid, but has a pretty tune. Here are the lyrics:

Oh do you remember a long time ago
When two little babes whose names I don't know
Were stolen away on a bright summers day
And lost in the woods I heard people say.

When the night came, oh sad was their plight
The sun had gone down and the stars gave no light
They plead and they sighed and they bitterly cried
Then the poor little babes they lay down and died.

When they were dead the robins so red
Brought strawberry leaves and over them spread
And all the night long they sang their sweet song
To the poor little babes to the poor little babes.

SO this is the song I sang to him when he was really little and I rocked him to sleep. Since then we have learned many other ones. I tried "Baby Beluga" to get him to settle down tonight, but he wasn't having it. He was all about the sad, morbid, dead babe song. He fell asleep that's what matters most.

2 comments:

Mrs. D. said...

Get well soon!

Jill said...

Grandma sang that song to all my kids. Thankfully they have forgotten it!
Yah, birthday parties are a lot of work. That's why my kids only get a party every other year. Aren't I mean?!?